Biography, Early Life and Critical Reception
This chapter debates the role biography plays in understanding literary texts. It considers the ways the Brontës developed their craft, their influences and the contemporary critical reception of the works.
- Just download the worksheet - add, change or remove questions to suit your student groups. Easy Edit Biography Worksheet
- Print out the pdf worksheet right away. Easy Print Biography Worksheet
The summary covers the main points in the chapter, downloading them and listening will remind you of the content of the full chapter.
Using the summaries here as a starting point you can develop your own unique study guide.
Respond to questions/themes raised in the summary using the following:
- The novel – find evidence to support your point, you don’t have to agree with the speaker but you will require evidence. Find examples, read passages to illustrate your points
- Other sources – who are the critics? Look in the Further Reading section for some suggestions to start with
- Class notes, use what you have learned and discussed
- Essay questions – you can use a practise question as a place to begin developing a response, this can be done in small groups or individually.
Once you have your evidence this can be recorded and combined with the material from the audio summary, generating a revision tool purpose built by you. Download the summary mp3 into an editing programme, once you have it on a timeline you can easily add in your own information to meet your particular needs.
Next: Wuthering Heights